John Mitchell is a lawyer, leader, and the Owner of KM Advisors and Quandary Consulting. John is also a Member of the Core Faculty for the Fellows Program at the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity and an Advisory Board Member and Co-Creator of the CBA Leadership Institute for the Chicago Bar Association.
Known as “The Purple Coach,” John specializes in helping lawyers and unsung leaders discover and maximize their leadership potential to continuously develop themselves in pursuit of changing the world. In addition to helping individuals, John also works with organizations to create and maintain a culture that attracts and retains the best talent in the industry.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- John Mitchell shares the biggest challenges and changes that leaders have experienced over the past year
- What is the difference between management and leadership?
- John’s advice to leaders on what to do, and what not to do, during the current social and medical crisis
- The pros and cons of remote work in the legal industry—and how technology can be used to help or hurt a firm’s culture
- John shares his definition of resilience
- The importance of taking care of your mental health as a leader and how it impacts both you and the people around you
- John talks about his curse of knowledge: we’re all in the same storm, but we’re not in the same boat
- How to connect with John Mitchell
In this episode…
What does resilience look like to you? Is it the ability to roll with the punches? To keep your head above water? To persevere no matter what? More importantly, how are you and your team staying resilient in the face of the current social, medical, and global crises?
For most people, the answer is pretty simply: resilience is the ability to bounce back. But, John Mitchell’s take goes a bit deeper. John explains that resilience is the ability to move forward and end up in a better place after your setback. He’s focused on helping his clients not just overcome the challenges of the past year, but become better leaders because of them. How can you apply this definition of resilience to your team, so you can grow stronger in the new year?
In this episode of The Lawyer’s Edge, Elise Holtzman sits down with John Mitchell, a lawyer, leader, and the Owner of KM Advisors and Quandary Consulting, to talk about building resilience in the face of adversity. John discusses the successes and failures he’s seen in the leadership response to COVID-19, the various ways technology can help—and harm—company culture, and the importance of taking care of your mental health. Keep listening for more of John’s winning leadership strategies!
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- The Lawyer’s Edge
- The Lawyer’s Edge Podcast
- John Mitchell on LinkedIn
- John’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- John’s assistant: email@example.com
- Lawyers Making Rain
- Elise Holtzman on LinkedIn
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by The Lawyer’s Edge, a firm based in the New York metropolitan area founded by Elise Holtzman in 2008 to help lawyers become skilled business developers and leaders so that they can grow their practices, retain top talent, and step confidently into leadership roles.
The firm offers customized coaching, consulting, and training programs such as their signature business development program, Lawyers Making Rain.
Now more than ever, it’s not enough to just do good work and hope your law firm will thrive. And no matter how smart and hard-working you are, it can be time-consuming and overwhelming to figure it all out by yourself.